HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A Texas jury has returned a 27-year prison sentence for a 39-year-old man who at one time taped an interview with “Dr. Phil” claiming he didn’t kill his girlfriend.
The Harris County jury also fined Mark Castellano $10,000 on Friday after convicting him of murder Thursday.
Castellano could have drawn up to life in prison. Prosecutors say he choked 31-year-old Michelle Warner during a September 2012 argument at their Houston apartment, drove her body to West Texas and dumped it in a shallow grave near Midland.
In 2012, Castellano taped a segment for Phil McGraw’s nationally syndicated program, in which he said Warner walked from their apartment after an argument and disappeared. Dr. Phil airs on CBS 11 weekdays at 3 p.m.
Castellano later told police he was responsible for Warner’s death and gave several versions of what happened.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- TX Rep. Joe Barton Apologizes Over Nude Photo Scandal
- Dallas Police Officer Charged After Stealing $800 In Groceries
- Flat-Earther To Launch Himself In Homemade Rocket To See Planet’s Shape
- Officials Confirm That F-16 Made Loud ‘Boom’ Sound Over Parker County
- Week 12 NFL Picks: The Thanksgiving Feast Is Upon Us
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures