LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) – Chris Sadberry struck out a career-high eight Saturday, and Texas Tech held off the College of Charleston 1-0 in the opener of an NCAA super regional.
Sadberry worked a career-best eight innings as the Red Raiders (44-19) improved to 32-4 at home and took the lead in the best-of-three series.
Taylor Clarke, a 10-game winner for the Cougars, gave up only five hits and walked one in his eight innings.
Tech scored in the third inning when Stephen Smith singled to center with one out and stole second. One out later, Tyler Neslony hit a line drive to right-center that skipped past right fielder Brandon Glazer and rolled to the wall. Neslony was credited with an RBI triple.
Texas Tech twice threw out Glazer at the plate – on a fielder’s choice by shortstop Tim Proudfoot in the third and by Sadberry on an infield chopper in the eighth.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Matthew McConaughey Fears ‘March For Our Lives’ Will Get “Hijacked”
- Dangerous Dog Task Force Meeting Canceled Despite Recent Dallas Attack
- Police and Semi Trucks Prevent Suicide Attempt on Detroit Freeway
- Iconic Dallas Hot Dog, Custard Shop ‘Wild About Harry’s’ Shutting Down
- FWPD Release Video Of “Person Of Interest” In Teen Bus Stop Attack
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures