KELLER (CBSDFW.COM) – The Keller Independent School District met to discuss what, if anything, could and should be done after a trustee posted anti-Muslim comments on a social media website.
Some Keller residents and at least one Keller ISD board trustee called for the resignation of newly elected trustee Jo Lynn Haussmann after a comment she made on her Facebook page last month.
Haussmann wrote, “Southlake – do you realize because so few voters took the time and responsibility to vote in the municipal elections – you know have a Muslim on the city council. What a shame.” She removed the post a short time later.
During the Monday night meeting Haussmann, who represents Place 5, again apologized for what she posted online, but refused to step down. “Although it will take time, I hope and expect to be able to win back the respect and the confidence of the residents of Keller ISD,” she said.
The Board of Trustees agreed Haussmann violated the Keller ISD bullying and anti-discrimination policy and voted 5 to 1 to censure her.
The board gave their most stern punishment with the censure, since there was no way to legally force Haussmann to resign.
Board policy states a public officer may be removed from office for –
1. Incompetency or gross ignorance of official duties
2. Official misconduct or intentional or unlawful behavior relating to official duties
4. Conviction for a felony or misdemeanor for official misconduct
After removing the comments from Facebook Haussmann, 62, later apologized to council member Shahid Shafi, but an outpouring of concern from both sides forced the Keller ISD school board to hold the special Monday night meeting.
Before and during the meeting several trustees and dozens of protesters again argued and pleaded for Haussmann to resign. As some 30 speakers stood before the board and explained why Haussmann should not be a Keller ISD Trustee she sat expressionless through most of the comments.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Byron Hanspard II Will Play College Football At Baylor
- NFL Network Suspends Analysts Over Sexual Misconduct Suit
- Sonny Dykes’ Next Coaching Shot Comes In Home State At SMU
- One Of Texas’ Oldest Veterans Passes Away At 105
- College Student Shot In Face In Her Apartment In Stephenville
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures