NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Out of the hundreds of makes and models of vehicles on American roadways only 22 can say they are among the safest on the road – that according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Among the things looked at by the IIHS were front crash prevention and overall crashworthiness.
Looking at 2014 cars and crossovers the IIHS gave fewer than two-dozen vehicles its highest rating. Last year the organization gave awards to some 130 vehicles.
All of the top rated vehicles got good ratings in crash tests and also offered an optional crash prevention system.
The only minivan on the list was the Honda Odyssey. The only non-luxury SUV was the Toyota Highlander.
Some of the moderately priced mid-sized cars that took home the “top safety picks plus” title included –
2014 Chevrolet Malibu
2014 Chrysler 200
2014 Ford Fusion
2014 Honda Accord 2-door coupe
2014 Kia Optima
2014 Mazda 6
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Trump Commends Ex-Presidents As ‘Finest Public Servants’
- Funeral Held For Soldier Killed In Niger Ambush
- Mexico Joins Legal Fight Against Texas Sanctuary Cities Law
- OT Interception Enables No. 10 Oklahoma State To Beat Texas
- Kempt Throws 3 TDs, Iowa State Dumps Texas Tech 31-13
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures