LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) – Former General Motors Co. CEO Edward Whitacre Jr. and his wife have donated $15 million to his alma mater, Texas Tech University.
The school in Lubbock on Tuesday announced the gift meant for graduate student fellowships.
Whitacre, who’s also chairman emeritus of Dallas-based AT&T Inc., received his bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering from Texas Tech.
The school in 2008 recognized $25 million in contributions from AT&T and friends of Whitacre by naming the Tech’s college of engineering in his honor.
The latest donation will fund about 30 doctoral fellows per year. The donation is eligible for state matching funds through the Texas Research Incentive Program.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Son Allegedly Stabs Mother In Fort Worth
- Trump, Clinton Poised For Must-See Debate Showdown
- Frisco Office Construction Growing To Meet The Need
- Report: Former Cowboy Greg Hardy Arrested In Richardson
- Multiple Police Agencies Looking For Armed, Dangerous Murder Suspect
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures