HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Child-welfare officials say a Texas mother kept her 9-year-old daughter’s body in a refrigerator for six months after her death.
A Houston Child Protective Services worker testified Wednesday that the woman acknowledged putting the body in a fridge drawer after finding the girl dead in January. A neighbor discovered the body Monday and went to police.
A court gave the agency custody of the woman’s 5-year-old daughter. No charges have been filed.
Caseworker Amber Keyes says the 9-year-old girl had cerebral palsy and weighed just 14 pounds when she died.
Keyes says the mother awoke one morning to find her daughter not breathing and tried unsuccessfully to revive the girl. After taking her younger daughter to school, the mother wrapped the body in a blanket and put it in the fridge.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Frisco ISD Board of Trustees Talk About Rezoning
- Stuff Your Holiday Stockings With Pringles-Scented Candles
- Fellow Muslim Student Defends ‘Clock Kid’s’ Former High School
- Debate Over Brand New New Buc-ee’s Ongoing In Denton
- Late 3-Pointers Sink UT-Arlington In Austin 80-73 In Overtime
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures