OMAHA, Neb. (AP) – Pinch hitter John Gatlin’s single into short right field over a pulled-in, five-man infield in the bottom of the ninth inning gave Mississippi a 2-1 victory over Texas Tech in a College World Series elimination game Tuesday.
The exciting finish came after Texas Tech had tied it in the top of the ninth.
Ole Miss (47-20) plays TCU or Virginia Thursday. The Red Raiders (45-20) went 0-2 in their first CWS.
Ole Miss won after Colby Bortles walked with one out. Brantley Bell hit a comebacker to Smith, who tried to force out Bortles at second. But he threw high into center field, allowing Bortles to go to third.
Dominic Moreno came on to face Gatlin, with Texas Tech shifting an extra player to the left side of the infield and going with only two outfielders. Gatlin punched a 1-2 pitch over second base, and the celebration was on.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Jerry Jones Confirms Romo Is Out For The Season: “It’s A Hairline Fracture”
- Man Found Dead After Driving Vehicle Into High Water
- Woman Washed Away From Vehicle In Johnson County
- College Football Week 13 Can’t Miss Games
- Oklahoma Takes On Rival Oklahoma State On Saturday
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures