Victim’s Family Wants ‘Bernie’ Back In Prison
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – The family of the widow killed by an East Texas man later portrayed in the film “Bernie” has filed its objections to the man’s early release.
Marjorie Nugent’s relatives say claims that Bernie Tiede was abused as a child shouldn’t have affected his life sentence. They call for Tiede’s bond to be revoked and for him to return to prison.
Tiede was convicted in 1999 of killing Nugent, a rich 81-year-old widow who became his companion after her husband’s death. He was released in May after a prosecutor agreed he should not have gotten a life sentence.
The murder and its impact in the town of Carthage became the basis of the movie, in which Jack Black played Tiede and Shirley MacLaine portrayed Nugent.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Love Field Makeover Expected To Wrap Up October 2014
- Ray Rice Assault Frames Arlington Pastor’s Sunday Message
- 10 People Injured In DART Accident
- Cowboys’ DeMarco Murray Grounds Titans
- Cowboys Ride Murray To 26-10 Win Over Titans
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures