KATY (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Authorities say a floor collapsed under a large crowd of people gathered at a home in Katy, sending three dozen people to hospitals, most with minor injuries.
West I-10 Fire Department spokesman Tim Thomas says the collapse occurred as about 100 people were gathering for a religious event in a residential neighborhood.
He says people were in a room above a detached garage when the floor gave way, though it’s unclear how many people were inside at the time.
He says most of the 36 people taken to hospitals weren’t seriously hurt, though three suffered “urgent” but not critical injuries.
Emergency crews set up a makeshift triage area in the front yards of several homes. Some of those injured were taken away by stretcher.
Katy is about 250 miles south of Dallas, and just 30 miles west of Houston.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Exploding Toilets: No Laughing Matter
- Redskins take TCU receiver Doctson With 22nd Pick
- Plant Power Cell Phone Charging Device In Development
- New Mexico Sues Texas Oil Company For Lease Payments
- Oklahoma Legislators Seek Change In Sodomy Law After Ruling
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures