FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) – Frisco is known for its growth, schools and family life but now the city has something else to tout.The city came in second on the “NerdWallet” list as the best place in the country for single moms.
“The initial reaction was shock,” said Sarah Tolbert, who lives in Frisco “… but I know we have a lot.”
Tolbert, 36, was a single mom for eight years. She remarried a few months ago.
“I just knew Frisco was where I wanted to be and I did everything it took to get here,” said Tolbert. “I worked long hours I had at that time two jobs.”
The ranking relied largely on census data and centered around the following three questions:
- Can a single mom make enough to cover both rent (mortgage) and child care?
- Is the community stable?
- Can single parents have a decent quality of life?
Frisco scored a 10 out of 10 for its schools. Single moms in Frisco also have a high median income level compared to other cities; averaging $52,000.
The city is also has a growing number of single parent support groups. Tolbert started one in January at Hope Fellowship which has up to 60 single parent members.
“You have that supportive ‘well how did you get through this’ or ‘how did you deal with that situation – when you ran out of money what did you do’ it’s nice to hear someone else that’s going through that,” said Tolbert.
As far as best cities for single fathers, Frisco came in number nine.
“It does surprise me that they came in two,” said Tim Hallstrom.
He said one thing that attracted him to the city was its schools.
“I know this area very well there is so many things available to single parents both men and women alike,” said Hallstrom.
The ranking also points out that about 15 percent of single moms in Frisco live below the poverty line and the national average is 50 percent.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Kelly Clarkson Honors Texas School Shooting Victims At Billboard Awards
- Lopez Goes 8 Innings As White Sox Blank Rangers 3-0
- Man Rams Vehicle Into North Carolina Restaurant, Killing Daughter, 1 Other
- Funeral Held For Exchange Student Killed In Texas School Shooting
- Houston Police Chief: Politicians ‘Not Doing Anything Other Than Offering Prayers’ After Shootings
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures