NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW) – CBS 11 will broadcast a 30-minute special to chronicle the experiences of more than a dozen North Texas World War II veterans who recently visited Normandy, France and Bastogne, Belgium (site of the Battle of the Bulge). The “Return to D-Day” special, hosted by CBS 11 News anchor Doug Dunbar, will air Saturday, July 5 at 5 p.m.
Dunbar accompanied the veterans on the trip, which commemorated the 70th anniversary of the Allied invasion. Dunbar will host the special, recounting the story of Rowlett’s Ormand Knowles, who was on guard duty across the street from President Eisenhower’s temporary headquarters in Rheims, France, on the night of the German Army’s surrender. The special will also document the surprise reunion between Highland Park resident Major Brooks and the young French boy he befriended 70 years earlier.
The program is co-produced by Dunbar and CBS 11 executive special projects producer Maggie Kerkman. News operations manager Billy Sexton is the photographer; Scott Fralicks is the editor.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 3 DISD Schools Named For Confederate Generals To Be Renamed
- Plumbing Company Owner On Employee Killed On Job: ‘He Was Like A Son To Me’
- Star Wars Fans Gather To Watch Debut Of Latest Installment
- Texas AG Aide Out After Social Media Post Disparaging ‘Pathetic’ Women
- Local Restaurant Served Firefighter Prior To Fatal Crash