Pilot Killed In Plane Crash Near Midlothian
story updated 10:00 p.m.
ELLIS COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – One person is dead after a plane crash near Midlothian.
According to officials with the Federal Aviation Administration, the single-engine biplane crashed at Midway Regional Airport just before 5 p.m.
The pilot who was killed, James Edward Doyle, was the only person on-board.
Witnesses in the area told officials that Doyle was performing aerobatic maneuvers when the plane went down.
CBS 11 News learned that Doyle, a 49-year-old man from Arlington, built the biplane he was flying.
Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board are expected to arrive Sunday to try and determine what caused the crash.
No one on the ground was injured.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- No. 12 Texas A&M Loses Jones For Season
- Crashes Continue As Snow Day Turns To Night
- Snow Day Brings Accidents, Traffic, & Some Fun Across North Texas
- Good Samaritan & His Hummer Saving Stranded Drivers
- Snow, Ice Cause Daytime & Commute Problems In Denton County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures