Ex-Texas Tech Player Could Face Aggravated Charge For Punching Women’s Basketball Star
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) – A former Texas Tech football player faces felony assault charges after he was accused of hitting one of the school’s women’s basketball players at the university’s recreation center.
A Texas Tech Police Department offense report released Monday accuses freshman Nigel Bethel II of “causing serious bodily injury” by hitting Amber Battles on Saturday. The one-page report states the attack included “hands, fists, feet, etc.”
Efforts to reach Bethel were unsuccessful. The highly regarded defensive back from Miami was released from custody pending formal charges by the Lubbock County district attorney’s office.
Bethel was dismissed from the football team on Sunday.
Athletics spokesman Blayne Beal said Bethel is being allowed to complete his summer school session.
Battle led the Lady Raiders last season with 16.4 points per game.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cedar Hill PD Does Spot On Mathew McConaughey Parody
- Families With Special Military Bond Don’t Let Icy Roads Cancel Event
- Fort Worth ISD’s Only Superintendent Pick Withdraws Nomination
- Cowboys To Use Franchise Tag On Dez Bryant
- Body Discovered At Lake Ray Hubbard During Missing Person Search
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures