LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) – A former Texas Tech football player faces felony assault charges after he was accused of hitting one of the school’s women’s basketball players at the university’s recreation center.
A Texas Tech Police Department offense report released Monday accuses freshman Nigel Bethel II of “causing serious bodily injury” by hitting Amber Battles on Saturday. The one-page report states the attack included “hands, fists, feet, etc.”
Efforts to reach Bethel were unsuccessful. The highly regarded defensive back from Miami was released from custody pending formal charges by the Lubbock County district attorney’s office.
Bethel was dismissed from the football team on Sunday.
Athletics spokesman Blayne Beal said Bethel is being allowed to complete his summer school session.
Battle led the Lady Raiders last season with 16.4 points per game.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bob Dorough Of ‘Schoolhouse Rock’ Is Dead At 94
- 1 Million Kids Suffer ID Theft, So Parents Beware
- Shelter Cats Learning To High-Five To Help Adoption Chances
- Dwayne Johnson Announces 3rd Daughter’s Birth On Instagram
- Amazon Launches Service To Deliver Packages To Car Trunks
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures