MISSION, Texas (AP) – U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Gil Kerlikowske will highlight the dangers of illegal immigration by visiting a South Texas riverfront park that’s a busy crossing point.
Kerlikowske’s visit to Anzalduas Park in Mission comes two days after Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson delivered a similar message on a visit to McAllen.
More than 52,000 unaccompanied children have been detained since October after they entered the United States illegally, so the Obama administration is pressing to spread the word that the children won’t be allowed to stay.
On Monday, Johnson stressed the dangers of the journey. That same day, Hidalgo County Sheriff Eddie Guerra announced the death of a Guatemalan child found alone in June in brush about a mile from the Rio Grande near La Joya.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dwight Howard, Hornets Hold Off Mavs 102-98
- Memorial Held For 2 North Texans Killed In NYC Helicopter Crash
- Michigan Tops Florida State, Back In Final Four
- Authorities: Family Found Dead In Mexico Died From Inhalation Of Toxic Gases
- Congressman: Austin Bombing Suspect Called Himself A ‘Psychopath’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures