NEW YORK (AP) – The reigning champ of the Nathan’s famous hot dog eating contest gets to hold onto his mustard yellow belt.
Joey “Jaws” Chestnut of San Jose, California, packed away 61 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes on Friday at the Coney Island contest. He won last year with 69.
Matt Stonie, also of San Jose, was hoping for an upset. But he downed just 56.
In the women’s division, defending champion Sonya “Black Widow” Thomas lost her title to Miki Sudo.
Sudo, of Las Vegas, wolfed down 34 franks and buns. Thomas, of Alexandria, Virginia, was only able to devour 27 3/4.
Chestnut got an extra prize Friday. He proposed to his girlfriend, a fellow competitive eater, before the contest. She said yes.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Boomer Esiason: ‘Door Is Wide Open For The Minnesota Vikings’
- Kick Return Ace Devin Hester Retires From NFL
- Prosecutors Say Suspect Taunted Trump Before Subway Bombing
- People Mortgaging Their Homes To Buy Bitcoin, Report Says
- Scams And Delays Already Wreaking Havoc On Holiday Package Deliveries For Many
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures