NCAA’s Emmert Calls For “Scholarships For Life”
Sports Fan Insider
WASHINGTON (AP) - NCAA President Mark Emmert says college athletes should receive “scholarships for life.”
Emmert also told a Senate panel Wednesday that scholarships should also cover full cost of attending college, not just the basics.
Emmert listed seven changes he favors in testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee. He said he hopes some will come about if Division I schools decide to remake their decision-making structure in the coming weeks.
The hearing comes as the NCAA faces pressure from multiple fronts to reform how athletes are treated and compensated.
Emmert said he feels college sports “works extremely well for the vast majority” and the overall current model of amateurism should be preserved.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sam Will Try To Paint Odds With Cowboys Try Out
- Disturbing New Details About Murder Of 5-Year-Old Dallas Girl
- Family Of Unarmed Man Killed By Police Files Lawsuit
- Report: Cowboys Considering Michael Sam For Practice Squad
- Texas Voter ID Decision Not Expected Before Nov. Elections
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures