Oil And Gas Regulator Chairman Makes Fracking Plea
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) – Outgoing Texas Railroad Commission Chairman Barry Smitherman has asked officials of a North Texas city to not support a grassroots petition advocating a ban on hydraulic fracturing within the city limits.
Smitherman wrote a letter Thursday to Denton Mayor Chris Watts and the City Council, calling the petition “essentially a ban on drilling” that is “extremely misguided.”
City leaders temporarily halted fracking as they consider making their city the first in the state to permanently ban the practice.
The Denton City Council plans a July 15 public hearing on the ban, and Watts says the letter will be added to the public record.
Even if the council rejects the ban, Denton voters could still vote on it in November.
Smitherman lost an attorney general’s race in March’s Republican primary.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBSSports.com: Fantasy Baseball Week 26 Starts And Sits
- More Than 700 Infants Exposed To TB At Texas Hospital
- Week 3 Injury Report: Dallas Cowboys May Be Without Top Tackler
- Texas Unemployment Rises To 5.3 Percent In August
- 6 WWE Stars Before They Were Professional Wrestlers
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures