ARLINGTON (CBSDFW) — The Texas Rangers haven’t had much to smile about this season, until now. One of the Rangers top prospects has given the team and their fans something to look forward to.
Frisco RoughRider’s 3rd baseman, Joey Gallo, won the MLB Futures Game Home Run Derby in the early afternoon, then went on to belt a towering home run in the Futures Game, to grab the MVP award.
Gallo becomes the first Texas Ranger to win the Futures Game MVP award. Martin Perez, Jurickson Profar, Elvis Andrus & Mike Olt are among the other Rangers to have played in the game.
Gallo was taken by the Rangers with the 39th pick of the 2012 MLB Draft. He was named the 60th overall prospect by Baseball America, prior to the 2014 season.
He’s hitting .277 with 10 home runs and 23 RBI in 116 plate appearances with Frisco, following a call-up from Class A Myrtle Beach.
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Udoka Azubuike Enters NBA Draft, But Could Return To Kansas
- Michigan’s Charles Matthews Enters NBA Draft Without Hiring Agent
- Marc Marquez & Valentino Rossi Bring Their MotoGP Duel To Texas
- Former NFL Player Sells 1952 Mickey Mantle Card For Over $2 Million