ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Two of the nation’s premier programs will matchup in the 2016 Cowboys Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.
Alabama and Southern California are set for their first regular-season face-off since some storied games in the 1970s.
The Labor Day weekend season opener at the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium will be held Sept. 3, 2016.
The last time Alabama and USC met in the regular season was 1978, when the Crimson Tide were the AP national champions and the Trojans finished No. 1 in the UPI poll. Alabama’s only loss that season was 24-14 to USC.
Defending national champion Florida State plays Oklahoma State in this year’s Cowboys Classic on Aug. 2.
Alabama is also playing in the 2015 kickoff game, against Wisconsin. The Crimson Tide beat Michigan 41-14 in the 2012 game.
History of the Cowboys Classic
2013: LSU 37, TCU 27
2012: Alabama 41, Michigan 14
2011: LSU 40, Oregon 27
2010: TCU 30, Oregon St. 21
BYU 14, Oklahoma 13
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- 5 More Former TCU Football Players Added To Lawsuit Against University
- Cuban To ESPN: Keeping Earl K. Sneed On Staff Was ‘Horrible Mistake’
- ‘Do Something!’ Trump Hears Emotional Students, Parents From Florida School
- Student Brings BB Gun To Bowie High School In Arlington
- Profiling Candidates In The 32nd Congressional District: Brett Shipp
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures