FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A Tarrant County jury sentenced a 49-year-old ex-convict to 40 years in prison for snatching a woman’s purse outside of an Arlington grocery store.
Michael Wayne Perry, a four time convicted felon, pled guilty to the robbery. Because Perry pled guilty, the trial immediately went into the punishment phase. The robbery took place on October 14, 2012. Prosecutors say Perry approached the victim outside of a Kroger grocery store at the intersection of Pleasant Ridge Road and Green Oaks Boulevard as she was getting into her vehicle.
Perry asked to use the victim’s cell phone because he was having car trouble. As the woman turned away from Perry while seated in her car, he pinned her in her seat and grabbed her purse. Police used a tracking device on the cellphone in the stolen purse to locate Perry at a gas station in Grand Prairie.
Perry must serve 10 years of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Homeowner Fights Off Home Invasion
- Little Elm Community Continues To Mourn Ahead Of Fallen Detective’s Funeral
- Brady Leads Patriots Back To Super Bowl With Win Over Steelers 36-17
- Ground Stop Lifted, United Airlines Flights Set To Resume
- Falcons Dominate Packers 44-21 For NFC Title
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures