AUSTIN (AP) – Texas high school athletic officials have voted to move the boys’ and girls’ state basketball tournaments to San Antonio after 93 years in Austin.
The University Interscholastic League announced the move to the Alamodome Tuesday.
The move was prompted by scarcity of hotel rooms in Austin in early March because of the South By Southwest festival
The first state championship was held in Austin in 1921. There are now 48 teams — four in each of six divisions for boys and girls.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Community Gathers To Remember 3 Children Killed In Ponder Murder-Suicide
- Curry Comes Alive To Score 35, Warriors Rout Rockets 126-85
- Kelly Clarkson Honors Texas School Shooting Victims At Billboard Awards
- Lopez Goes 8 Innings As White Sox Blank Rangers 3-0
- Man Rams Vehicle Into North Carolina Restaurant, Killing Daughter, 1 Other
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures