AUSTIN (AP) – Texas high school athletic officials have voted to move the boys’ and girls’ state basketball tournaments to San Antonio after 93 years in Austin.
The University Interscholastic League announced the move to the Alamodome Tuesday.
The move was prompted by scarcity of hotel rooms in Austin in early March because of the South By Southwest festival
The first state championship was held in Austin in 1921. There are now 48 teams — four in each of six divisions for boys and girls.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Silvers Lifts Troy Over UNT, 50-30, In New Orleans Bowl
- Police: “Criminal Santa” Gets Stuck In Chimney During Burglary Attempt
- Ex-Wife Of Lorenzen Wright Charged With Murder In 2010 Death
- Major Media Players Start Commission For Sexual Misconduct
- Dallas Officer Arrested For Family Violence Assault
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures