AUSTIN (AP) – Texas high school athletic officials have voted to move the boys’ and girls’ state basketball tournaments to San Antonio after 93 years in Austin.
The University Interscholastic League announced the move to the Alamodome Tuesday.
The move was prompted by scarcity of hotel rooms in Austin in early March because of the South By Southwest festival
The first state championship was held in Austin in 1921. There are now 48 teams — four in each of six divisions for boys and girls.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Restaurant May Stop Deliveries Due To Crime Against Employees
- Tanaka, Yankees Top Keuchel, Astros 5-0 For 3-2 Lead In ALCS
- After Crisis, Improvements Made At Dallas 911 Call Center
- Texas Man’s Execution Halted Amid Alleged Confession Scheme
- Arlington Police Standoff Ends With An Arrest
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures