First Two Human Cases Of West Nile Confirmed In Dallas County
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas County Health and Human Services has confirmed the first two human cases of West Nile virus infection for the 2014 season.
The two residents were diagnosed with West Nile fever.
One case was confirmed in a resident in the 75019 zip code — located in Coppell. The second was confirmed in the north Dallas zip code of 75230.
On Saturday, officials confirmed a positive West Nile test in a mosquito trapped in the 75230 zip code.
“We want our residents to know the mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus are here and they’re active,” said Zachary Thompson, DCHHS director. “Our mosquito surveillance program and the county and municipal abatement teams are taking appropriate actions to ensure the safety of our residents. However, it is important for residents to take the necessary precautions.”
DCHHS recommends the following practices to reduce their risk of contracting the virus:
• DEET — Whenever you’re outside, use insect repellents that contain DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
• DRESS — Wear long, loose and light-colored clothing outside.
• DRAIN — Remove all areas of standing water in and around your home.
• DUSK & DAWN — Limit outdoor activities during dusk and dawn hours when mosquitoes are most active.
“Since there is no vaccine or antiviral treatment for WNV infection, residents should adhere to preventive measures to protect themselves and their loved ones,” said Dr. Christopher Perkins, DCHHS medical director/health authority.
in 2012, Dallas County was hit with 398 human cases of the virus, resulting in 20 deaths. Last year, there were 16 human cases recorded and two deaths.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Grapevine Mills Planning Multi-Million Dollar Renovation
- Unless RG3 Is ready, McCoy Will Start Against Cowboys
- Michael Irvin: Cowboys Imposing Their Will On Defenses
- 10 Best Tweets Trashing Eli Manning After Loss To Cowboys
- Wendy Davis Votes Early, Rejects Talk Of Long Odds