McIlroy Dominates At British Open
Sports Fan Insider
HOYLAKE, England (AP) - Rory McIlroy completed a wire-to-wire victory Sunday in the British Open to capture the third leg of the career Grand Slam.
McIlroy led by six shots going into the final round and never let anyone closer than two shots. He closed with a 1-under 71 for a two-shot victory over Sergio Garcia and Rickie Fowler.
Garcia put up the biggest fight. He was two shots behind when he left a shot in the pot bunker right of the 15th green and made bogey. Birdies on two of the last three holes were not enough to catch McIlroy.
McIlroy won the 2011 U.S. Open and the 2012 PGA Championship. He joins Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods as the only players with three different majors at age 25 or younger.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Facebook CEO Wants More Students To Explore Tech
- Orders For Samsung Note 4 Phone Begin Friday
- GM To Introduce New, High-End Cadillac Next Year
- FDA Tweaks Food Safety Rules Due Next Year
- Heisman Watch: Jameis Winston’s Repeat Bid Against History
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures