Teen Dies After Go-Kart Malfunction
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A teen died after an accident while driving during an amateur race at Texas Motor Speedway Sunday morning.
The victim 14-year-old Kierstin Eaddy and several others were racing in the speedway parking lot at an event held by the Sports Car Club of America.
Witnesses said Kierstin had just crossed the finish line when her go-kart malfunctioned and she wasn’t able to stop.
The teen was Careflited to Harris Methodist in Fort Worth where she later died.
Fort worth police are investigating the crash.
Nick Carnell works for, Sports Car Club of America, said they require riders to wear helmets when they are racing.
Witnesses say the teen’s helmet flew off when she hit a low cable barrier.
“The girl was going past the finish line and something in her go kart failed she wasn’t able to stop it and ran through the fence,” said Carnell
Kierstin’s father said his daughter was a straight A student and volunteered her time to help others.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cleanup At Rio Vista Elementary School After Storms
- Source: No Suspension For Tyson For Mavs ‘Punch’
- Family Searching For Brass Ships Wall Art Mistakenly Sold At Yard Sale
- Juror No. 15: Texas Gov. Abbott Reports To Austin Jury Duty
- House OKs Bill Spurred By Irving Highway Patrol Cavity Search
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures