COLLIN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Immigrant children aren’t welcome in Collin County, according to Commissioner Mark Reid.
“We will not take responsibility for housing and caring for these children,” said Reid.
He is pushing to keep to the subject on next week’s court agenda. A meeting is scheduled at 1:30 p.m. on Monday for public input before county commissioners take action in the matter Tuesday.
For people who view the immigration crisis as a humanitarian issue, Reid’s approach has rubbed many the wrong way. Amayrani Montoya is a Plano preschool teacher who said she could have been one of these children held at the border when her family crossed illegally 20 years ago.
“I’m ashamed of where I live,” said Montoya.
Now a U.S. resident, Montoya said she’s upset that Collin County Commissioners will soon consider a resolution to “refuse requests or directives to process or house” thousands of children now being held the border.
But Commissioner Reid insists the surge of refugees from Central America is an illegal immigrant tsunami and a drain on resources. He said he’s sympathetic; just looking out taxpayers. But Reid’s push to keep children out has a more sinister meaning, according to Rene Martinez, LULAC Director Dist. 3.
“It’s race baiting and it’s the epitome of ignorance,” said Martinez.
Local Hispanic groups accuse the commissioner of spreading fear that the children could spread diseases. Commissioners are expected to vote on this resolution sometime in the next two weeks. But supporters and opponents disagree over whether it can be enforced.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- On-Duty Dallas Police Officer Arrested For Suspicion Of DWI
- Oklahoma Bashes Oklahoma State 58-23 In Bedlam
- LSU Defeat Texas A&M 19-7
- Arlington Homicide Detectives Investigating 20-Year-Old Man’s Death
- 23-Year-Old Charged With Murder Following Witness Tip
- House Teetering On Cliff Gets Burned Down
- Sheriff Likens Immigration To Hurricane Katrina
- Couple Files Suit After Doctors Remove Wrong Kidney
- Dallas Center Offers ‘Thigh Gap’ Therapy
- Perry Gives Impression He’ll Run For President