Dallas Grandmother Behind Care Package Effort For Border Children
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A Dallas grandmother has organized a grassroots effort to provide care packages for children caught at the border.
Cindy Cole said she was tired of seeing protests on the news and politicians arguing about immigration.
To her it seemed counter-productive.
Cole created a Facebook post asking for volunteers to help make care packages for the children caught at the border.
Cole said she had no idea how folks would respond.
“This has been strictly word of mouth,” explained Cole. “One friend to another. I thought we might get 50 boxes.”
In a few days Cole received boxes full of hygiene products.
Cole said she was overwhelmed with donations and aid.
“I need help here because I’m stuck behind these boxes.”
Cole has begun to store supplies at a local church because she has no more room at her home.
“We can’t talk to these kids. We can’t comfort them. We can’t hug them. This is how we can do it,” said Cole
Greg Angus said the minute he saw the post on his Facebook feed he made a donation and then volunteered.
“I think a lot of people if it was their kids, their situation, wouldn’t they do the same thing,” asked Angus.
The last item placed in every box and backpack with a welcome letter
Volunteer Johlyn McConlogue said people should get past politics and look at the children.
“I get that there’s a lot of politics surrounding immigration but at the end of the day these are kids with nothing. This is a humanitarian effort at this point? ” said McConlogue.
Cole says she received donations from as far as Germany and England.
She’s still not sure how the word spread that far.
There were 600 books in total.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nowitzki, Mavericks Roll Over Lakers 140-106
- Ex-State Senator, UT Vice Chancellor Farabee Dies
- 11 Indicted In Dallas-Area Drug Ring, Ties To Jail
- Feds Get Case Involving Alleged Child Porn Scheme
- Dallas Infant Dies Waiting For Transplant
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting