BEREA, Ohio (AP) — A look at Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel’s day at training camp.
GO, JOHNNY, GO: Manziel got a chance to show off his running ability as the Browns ran several read-option plays with him behind center. On several occasions, Manziel kept the ball, tucked it away and took off, displaying the quickness and elusiveness that made it tough to contain him at Texas A&M.
MISCUES: Manziel, who is trying to beat out Brian Hoyer to be Cleveland’s starter, had a few plays he’d like to have back. He fumbled one snap in the shotgun, overthrew receivers on some out sideline patterns and threw an interception. While rolling out to his left, Manziel forced a throw toward rookie receiver Taylor Gabriel that was picked off by rookie linebacker Chris Kirksey.
PERFECT SONG: As Manziel guided the Browns down field in a two-minute drill late in practice, the Beastie Boys’ “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)” blasted through speakers on the field. Manziel, whose escapades during the offseason brought him widespread criticism, ended the practice by lobbing a short touchdown pass to rookie fullback Ray Agnew.
JUDGING JOHNNY: Browns coach Mike Pettine said after looking at the tape of Sunday’s practice he felt Hoyer had outperformed Manziel.
“Brian was sharper than he was the first day,” Pettine said. “Manziel was inconsistent, did some good things and then probably did some things he would have taken back. I think that’s just all part of it.”
TALKING JOHNNY: Browns Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas said behind the scenes Manziel is very different from the Johnny Football persona one would expect.
“Johnny is kind of a quiet guy around the facility,” Thomas said. “I’m sure it’s hard for most people to believe that with the kind of personality that he’s built up. But he’s kind of quiet. He does things the right way. You look at his notebook and he’s got all sorts of good notes. He sits in the front next to the coach and he’s just focused on his job when he’s here.”
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pair Tries And Fails To Steal ATMs
- Military Dog Reunited With Soldier 5 Years Later
- Water Woes Leave Hood County Residents Heated
- Baylor Ordered To Provide Sex Assault Reports Dating To 2003
- Russia Sanctions Bill Heads To Trump After Senate’s Approval
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting