DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Protestors are planning to rally outside the Dallas event where Governor Perry is set to speak Tuesday evening.
Before Gov. Perry delivers the keynote speech for the annual meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council at the Hilton Anatole, members of the Texas Organizing Project will hold up 12 huge blank checks to signify the millions that will be spent under Perry’s plan.
“Sending armed troops to militarize our border is unnecessary, and it is going to cost taxpayers in Texas $12 million every month.Where is this money coming from?” said Margarita Alvarez, TOP leader and an immigrant mother from Guatemala. “The money is going to be diverted from areas that Perry doesn’t think
are critical, like healthcare and transportation, but the people of Texas beg to differ. We will raise our voices this evening so our governor knows his actions are unacceptable.”
Meanwhile, a legislative panel is questioning what Texas will ultimately have to show for the $4.2 million per week it’s spending on beefed-up border security amid a surge of unaccompanied immigrant children.
Gov. Rick Perry is deploying 1,000 National Guard troops to the Texas-Mexico border at a weekly cost of $3 million. The state was already spending an additional $1.2 million weekly on border security.
Department of Public Safety director Steve McCraw told a Texas House hearing Tuesday in Austin that while children aren’t criminals, they’re crossing the border with smuggling gangs.
McCraw says federal authorities have been overwhelmed, causing other crime to spike.
But committee Democrats wondered what would constitute success, since Texas is trying to stop crime and illegal border crossings that were common before the current immigration spike.
CBS 11 has requested access to the event where Governor Perry will be speaking. A representative with ALEC says his speech is closed to the media.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Fire Started By Lightning Consumes Collin County Home
- Depp’s Daughter Defends Him After Abuse Allegations
- Warriors Know Game 7 With Thunder Won’t Be Easy
- Rookie Driver Rossi Stretches Gas To Win Indy 500
- Truex Dominates NASCAR Race In Charlotte
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting