MCKINNEY (CBSDFW.COM) – Far from how one McKinney couple wanted to spend their golden years, the Powells are at their wits end from listening to planes fly overhead from nearby McKinney Airport.
The couple, who has lived in their home for 50 years, said it all started two years ago when the airport was reconfigured and expanded.
“The quality of our life has totally deteriorated,” said Annette Powell, who admitted she’s depressed about the situation.
She and her husband estimate 200 flights a day pass over their home, generating noise equal to that of a loud vacuum cleaner.
“The big thing is the noise interrupting conversation, sleep and TV… that sort of thing,” said John Powell.
The couple even bought a decibel reader to prove what a nuisance the noise is.
“I don’t think it’s healthy,” said John.
The Powell’s also recorded their own video of planes that they said fly as low as 50 feet over their home.
The City of McKinney sent the following statement:
“The Powells granted an easement over their property to the City, which allows for over flights and noise within FAA guidelines.”
But the couple granted the easement mentioned in the statement more than 20 years ago. Obviously things have changed…
The airport’s new runway sends planes directly over the couple’s 74 acres, and now there are even plans to move the runway closer.
“I want them to buy the place let us go somewhere else,” said Annette.
But city officials said they’re in the “early stages of negotiations,” with the homeowners.
The couple said they haven’t received any kind of offer from the city. Furthermore, they believe McKinney is delaying a purchase of the land because it’s just not marketable.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Irving Police Discover Body Near Highway 183
- Man Arrested After Remains Of Girlfriend Found In Ellis County
- Powerball Jackpot Climbs To $510 Million, 8th Largest
- Ready To Play: Lions DB Alex Carter Discusses The Importance Of Clean Eating
- Bonnie Tyler To Sing ‘Total Eclipse’ Hit During Eclipse
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting