FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Ebola outbreak is worsening. Wednesday two Peace Corps volunteers tested positive for the deadly disease. The Corps is now pulling its volunteers out of West Africa. But here in North Texas others are praying for a Fort Worth healer who can’t escape.
From the moment Doctor Kent Brantly and his family joined the Southside Church of Christ medical missionary work was a passion. The focus was clear despite risks to their own health.
Wednesday night church members and others gathered to pray for Dr. Brantly’s healing.
The well wishes were evident well before entering the sanctuary. The message on the church marquee read “Pray For Kent.”
Southside elder Kent Smith said, “Things happen. There is disease. There is violence. There is crime and there are no promises that good people will be protected from those things. But we trust that in all things God works for good.”
This week’s bible study brought hundreds of people to the church. There were members of the congregation and many friends of Dr. Brantly, from his time working at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.
The prayer chains for the two Americans fighting Ebola now include thousands of people.
There was a sliver of good news Wednesday from the evangelical Christian humanitarian organization Samaritan’s Purse. The group reported that Dr. Brantly’s condition improved slightly in the last 24 hours. He remains in serious condition.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas County DA Partners With Texas AG On Voter Fraud Investigation
- Hack Attack! Computer Techs On Alert For Ransomware
- Amber Alert For Lancaster Girl
- Dallas Pair Overcomes Obstacles To Reach Deaflympics
- Texas Fisherman Reels In 45-Year-Old Wallet
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting