Report Finds No Cancer Clusters In Flower Mound
FLOWER MOUND (CBSDFW.COM) – The Texas Department of State Health Services has released a new report which indicated most cancer rates in Flower Mound over a ten-year period were not higher than expected.
Female breast cancer rates were the only exception.
DSHS analyzed cancer data from the city’s two primary zip codes from 2002 through 2011.
Back in 2009, Flower Mound families asked the state to investigate whether there was a cancer cluster in their area after several children in the neighborhood were diagnosed with leukemia. A report released in 2011 determined there was no evidence of any cancer clusters in Flower Mound zip codes 75022 or 75028. However, some of the families did not feel that report fully addressed their concerns.
At the time, Steve Schmidt, whose 5-year-old daughter had been diagnosed with cancer, said, “There’s a family excluded in the data,” Schmidt said. “I don’t see it as a closed complaint at this particular time.”
For the new report, DSHS included more cancer types and updated cancer and population data. The results were the same as previous years, with only breast cancer rates higher than expected.
For previous studies, researchers said the higher than normal breast cancer rate was likely due to a rapidly growing population during the time of the study.
CBS 11’s Ken Molestina is working on this story and will have the latest on CBS 11 News at 5.
>>SCROLL BELOW TO READ THE FULL DSHS REPORT <<
- Cedar Hill PD Does Spot On Mathew McConaughey Parody
- Families With Special Military Bond Don’t Let Icy Roads Cancel Event
- Fort Worth ISD’s Only Superintendent Pick Withdraws Nomination
- Cowboys To Use Franchise Tag On Dez Bryant
- Body Discovered At Lake Ray Hubbard During Missing Person Search
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting