DENTON, TX (CBS 11) – Denton Police officials are admitting wrong doing and releasing jailhouse surveillance video that shows one of their jailers using an unauthorized leg sweep on a prisoner.
That prisoner, Jason Bishop first spoke to CBS 11 last week and showed us the severe injuries to his face. He says that leg sweep sent him into a full speed face plant onto the concrete floor of a jail cell. The surveillance video shows Bishop laying on the floor following the take down as a puddle of blood begins to pool around his head. Paramedics are then seen coming into the cell to treat Bishop.
Denton Police Spokesman Ryan Grelle said they released the video because, “we wanted to show the public what happened.” He went on to apologize for the incident saying “we’re sorry this happened to him (Bishop).”
Bishop was arrested on July 19th and charged with public intoxication. He was taken to the cell where he was thrown onto the ground after officials say he refused to cooperate during booking.
According to law enforcement officials, what should have happened is what’s called a controlled takedown. That means they take the person that’s arrested, grab the person by both arms, and slowly lower them to the ground.
The jailer who applied the unauthorized leg sweep on Bishop has been identified as Darius Porter, a two-year veteran of the department. He has since been fired from his job. Denton police say as far as they are concerned, “this case is closed.”
If Bishop wishes to press charges on the jailer, he will have to file an official complaint with the district attorney’s office.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Fifth Grader Advises Six Flags To Cut Shockwave; Save Money
- Dallas Police Investigate Officer-Involved Shooting On MLK
- Missing College Student’s Boyfriend Named A Suspect
- Fort Worth Police Looking For Missing Boy
- Suspect Arrested In Denton Drive-By Shooting
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting