PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – Custer Road in Plano was shut down Thursday morning after an incident involving construction equipment brought power lines down onto the roadway, and power poles down onto cars.
The incident happened shortly before 10:00 a.m. between Plano Parkway and 15th Street.
Crews from Bowman Construction were on the scene when four electrical poles were knocked to the ground. A trackhoe got hung up on a drop wire from one of the poles, and pulled down the four poles in a chain reaction.
Two of the poles slammed into cars along the road. Plano city officials reported that one car had a person trapped inside. Rescue workers arrived at the scene and no injuries were reported — simply a lot of damage to the vehicles involved.
The driver who was trapped inside of her car is a student at UT-Dallas. Police said that she is lucky to be alive. “I just watched that pole fell down really slow and I don’t know how to do at the time,” recalled Ling Xiaoli. “The roof hit my head, but not so heavy, so I think I’m lucky here… not so lucky on the road.”
The city expects Custer Road to be shut down in this area for a significant part of Thursday as crews work to repair the damages. (Click here to find alternate routes.) Also, the power was out to about 900 homes and a middle school on both the east and west sides of Custer Road. Oncor has since restored electricity to those customers.
- Reader’s Digest Names White Rock Lake One Of World’s Most Haunted
- Farmersville Mayor Concedes Election After Controversy Over Results
- Study: Facial Exercise Helps Make Faces Look Younger
- Dallas County Commissioner’s Court Runoff Race: Who Weathers The Controversy?
- Texas Gov. Abbott Holds First Series Of School Safety Discussions
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting