CLEBURNE (CBS 11 NEWS) – As the 75th anniversary of the classic movie “Gone with the Wind” approaches, the movie’s fans are flocking to Cleburne from all over the country for a unique GWTW experience at The Gone With The Wind Remembered Museum.
“There are approximately 6000 pieces in the collection,” said Mike Rogers who is married to the collection curator. “Vicky started 30 years ago with one doll and now it is what you see here.”
And what you see is a personal collection that brings to life the passion of Gone With The Wind fans — or Windies as they call themselves.
“Hello,” Vicky Rogers said softly to a pair of visitors eying one of many massive displays. “Do y’all have any questions?”
Vicky Rogers is the Windy who amassed this Tara-sized collection.
“I read the book and fell in love with the book,” said Rogers. “I love the whole era.”
For three decades, Rogers hunted all things Gone With The Wind — from the original books to props and costumes from the movie.
“I’ve been to many auctions,” Rogers said. “Many garage cells. Flea markets. Ebay. Fellow collectors.”
Remember the movie scene where Mammie is helping Scarlett squeeze into her corset? Well, the bloomers Vivien Leigh wore in that scene are here.
There are hats and costumes worn in the movie.
We all know the line, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” But what does an ornate, red cushioned chair in the museum have to do with that scene? Look carefully and it’s against the wall behind the actors.
The movie was the first to mass merchandise itself, and there’s memorabilia of all shapes and sizes — including more than 650 dolls.
And when the collection grew too large for her home Rogers decided it was time to share her collection with the public.
They when they opened the door of the museum this summer they didn’t realize how far people would travel to see it.
“From all over the country; Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, not to mention all the people in the metroplex,” Mike Rogers said.
“No, I was surprised,” Vicky Rogers said. “I feel very blessed and honored that everyone’s coming. And everyone seems to love it!”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Hotel Scheme Hooks Scholars From Around The World
- Cowtown Distillery First In Fort Worth To Make Bourbon
- T.J. Miller Arrested After Alleged Argument With Cab Driver
- Technology Alerts Oak Cliff Homeowner To Armed Intruder
- 9 Suburban Dallas Officers Fired For Falsifying Reports
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting