WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans have passed legislation to shut down a program by President Barack Obama granting deportation relief to immigrants brought here illegally as children.
The legislation that passed 216-192 late Friday could put more than 700,000 immigrants who’ve received temporary work permits in line for deportation.
It also would block Obama from awarding work permits to other immigrants here illegally.
The bill was supported by conservatives who demanded it as their price for backing a separate measure dealing with the crisis of unaccompanied minors flooding the border.
The Senate has already adjourned for Congress’ summer recess so neither bill stands a chance of becoming law.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Strangers Buy Car For Hard-Working Man In Rockwall
- Inspection Company To Review Entire Fleet Of Keller ISD Buses
- Road Rage Shootings Piling Up Lately
- City Of Dallas Ready To Build Second Deck Park
- Sculptor To Memorialize Slain Officers In Bronze
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting