WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans have passed legislation to shut down a program by President Barack Obama granting deportation relief to immigrants brought here illegally as children.
The legislation that passed 216-192 late Friday could put more than 700,000 immigrants who’ve received temporary work permits in line for deportation.
It also would block Obama from awarding work permits to other immigrants here illegally.
The bill was supported by conservatives who demanded it as their price for backing a separate measure dealing with the crisis of unaccompanied minors flooding the border.
The Senate has already adjourned for Congress’ summer recess so neither bill stands a chance of becoming law.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Cowboys Sign Jason Witten To 4-Year Extension
- Supreme Court Rules For Texas Death Row Inmate
- WWE’s Baron Corbin On Conor McGregor, “I Would Slam Him On His Head”
- 30 Players: Rangers’ Nomar Mazara Just Getting Started
- Facebook Adds More Snapchat-Like Features
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting