ATLANTA (CBSDFW.COM) – The first ever case of Ebola arrived in the United States via an infected doctor from Fort Worth.
A special, medically equipped plane carrying Dr. Kent Brantly touched down at a military base outside of Atlanta just hours ago.
He is the doctor who contracted the Ebola virus while treating patients in West Africa.
His condition is said to be grave but he was able to walk inside Emory University Hospital.
Dr. Brently will be treated in isolation.
Brently was dressed in a full white containment suit as he carefully stepped out of the back of an ambulance Saturday afternoon.
Another person also dressed in protective clothing him Emory University Hospital.
“We are ready. We are looking forward to try and help this patient and assist his family in any way possible,” said Dr. Jay Varkey Emory University Hospital.
Brantly was flown from West Africa to the United States in a private, medical jet.
After landing at a Georgia’s Dobbins Air Reserve Base, he was loaded into an ambulance that was accompanied by several vehicles and a police escort on the 15 mile ride to the hospital.
The procedure will be repeated in the next couple days as a second Ebola patient, American aid worker Nancy Writebol, is transported from Africa to Atlanta.
Emory is equipped with a specialized isolation unit to ensure the disease will not spread.
“I truly believe in the practices we have in place. And I have no specific concerns for my personal safety or my colleagues,” said Dr. Varkey.
Brantly’s wife Amber released a statement that says: “It was a relief to welcome Kent home today. I spoke with him, and he is glad to be back in the U.S.”
She also thanked God for giving him the strength to walk into the hospital.
Executives at JPS Hospital where Dr. Brantly was a resident said they’re “delighted and relieved” by his return to the United States.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Chaos Erupts Between Texas Delegation’s Clinton & Sanders Supporters
- Prison For Driver Who Hit Bicyclist So Hard He Stuck In Windshield
- NFL Teams Now Subject To Penalties For Violating Concussion Protocol
- Plano Leaders On Board For DART Rail Line To DFW Airport
- Church Hostage-Takers Killed After Slitting Throat Of Priest
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting