Local Liberian Community Attends Brantly’s Church
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Minister Matthew Morgan told his congregation on Sunday he prayed more this past week than he ever has before.
For the members of the Southside Church of Christ in Fort Worth it’s been a trying and emotional week.
Their fellow church member Dr. Kent Brantly contracted Ebola while working with a charity organization in Liberia.
On Sunday church members were joined by nearly forty members of the local Liberian community for their Sunday worship service.
Alben Tarty, who has a brother in Liberia, said he wanted to be at the service to show the doctor’s church how much he appreciates the work Brantly has done for his home country.
“He (Brantly) knew exactly where he was going,” Tarty said. “He knew that the virus didn’t have cure, yet he still went there.”
During the service, the minister read a letter from Brantly’s wife, Amber.
She wrote how she appreciates the prayers and asked the congregation to not just pray for her husband and Nancy Writebol, the other American who contracted Ebola, but for all the people of Liberia.
Church elder Kent Smith said that request sounded just like something Dr. Brantly would say.
“He’s selfless,” said Smith. “Always thinking about other people’s needs before his own.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Postal Distribution Center Catches Fire
- Let Other Fantasy Baseball Owners Take Chances On September Call-Ups
- Rookie Spotlight: Vic Beasley Will Be An Every-Down Player For Atlanta Falcons
- Man Exposes Himself To High School Cheerleader
- Suspect Arrested, Charged In Deputy Killing
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting