DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas Police Department has been busy on Wednesday, as registered sex offenders show up to check in. There are 3,364 registered sex offenders living within Dallas city limits. While they report in, members of the Dallas City Council are debating a proposal to regulate exactly where those offenders can live.
There are currently no restrictions on just where in Dallas a registered sex offender is permitted to live. But the police department and city officials want that to change.
A number of other North Texas cities do have such residency restrictions in place. In those suburban cities, registered sex offenders cannot live in the areas located near public parks, schools, daycare centers or recreational centers.
Staff members are expected to begin drafting the proposed ordinance on Wednesday, writing what could become a new law that restricts where the city’s registered sex offenders can call home.
- 3-Year-Old Dies After Found In Hot Car In Fort Worth
- Police: Man Shot, Killed In Apparent Road Rage Incident In Arlington
- Water Rescue Crews Searching For Man At White Rock Lake
- Girls Back In Custody After Leaving Dallas Transition Center
- Jordan Spieth Holes Bunker Shot To Win Travelers Playoff