ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller has been hired to be the next GM of the San Diego Padres, according to a report by FOX Sports.
Ken Rosenthal reports that Preller beat out Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, who was considered the other front-runner for the position.
Preller, 36, has been with the organization for 10 years, and is often credited with the clubs’ international scouting success.
In July, Rangers General Manager and President of Baseball Operations Jon Daniels noted the importance of Preller in the club’s player selection process.
“When we have our amateur draft, A.J. Preller and Kip Fagg make our selections. They run the draft. They run the department,” said Daniels.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes in June. San Diego has not had a winning record since 2010.
An announcement of the hiring is expected on Wednesday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- K-State, Texas Meet For Old-School, Ground-Based Game
- Nowitzki, Mavs Start Chase For Elusive Playoff Series Win
- Female Suspect Arrested After Short Chase In Dallas
- Kevin James Brings New Sitcom Back Home
- Warner Bros. Promises Previously Unreleased Prince Music