Lt. Governor Hopefuls Give Dueling Speeches
AUSTIN (AP) - The state senators vying to be the next Texas lieutenant governor are set to address the same audience.
Democratic Sen. Leticia Van de Putte of San Antonio will address Thursday’s annual conference of the Texas Association of Broadcasters in Austin. Her Republican opponent, Sen. Dan Patrick, a tea party favorite from Houston, will speak next.
Van de Putte recently unveiled her plan to overhaul public education. She wants to replace the five standardized exams currently required to graduate high school with a single diagnostic assessment of college readiness.
Patrick has pushed a hard-line immigration stance, calling for securing the Texas-Mexico border. He also led a push to cut the number of tests required for graduation from 15 to five last year, but Van de Putte wants to go further.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- With McCoy Trade, Kelly Proves Every Player Expendable
- Jury In Super Bowl Seating Trial To Hear From NFL Commissioner
- Clinton Asks If Nation Wants To See Woman President
- DISD Decides To Not Open Lakewood Elementary After Carbon Monoxide Scare
- 3 Shot During Argument At Fort Worth IHOP