Lt. Governor Hopefuls Give Dueling Speeches
AUSTIN (AP) - The state senators vying to be the next Texas lieutenant governor are set to address the same audience.
Democratic Sen. Leticia Van de Putte of San Antonio will address Thursday’s annual conference of the Texas Association of Broadcasters in Austin. Her Republican opponent, Sen. Dan Patrick, a tea party favorite from Houston, will speak next.
Van de Putte recently unveiled her plan to overhaul public education. She wants to replace the five standardized exams currently required to graduate high school with a single diagnostic assessment of college readiness.
Patrick has pushed a hard-line immigration stance, calling for securing the Texas-Mexico border. He also led a push to cut the number of tests required for graduation from 15 to five last year, but Van de Putte wants to go further.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mavericks Embarrass Heat In 2nd Half, Win 93-72
- Prime Prep, Charter School Started By Deion Sanders Closed
- Judge To Rule On Motion To End Midland Veterans Parade Crash Trial
- Specialized Veterinary Care Worth The Price For Pet Owners
- Softball Team Plays For First Time Since Fatal Crash