WASHINGTON (AP) – The U.S. military says American jet fighters and drones have conducted four more airstrikes on Islamic militants in Iraq, taking out armored carriers and a truck that were firing on civilians.
U.S. Central Command says the Islamic State militants were firing on Yazidi civilians near Sinjar. The refugees have been taking shelter in the Sinjar mountains. Central Command says the strikes near Sinjar were spread out, with three before noon Eastern Daylight Time on Saturday and one about 3 p.m.
The military says indications suggest that the strikes were successful in destroying the armored vehicles. This is the third round of airstrikes against Islamic State forces by the U.S. military since they were authorized by President Barack Obama.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Debuts To A Franchise Low
- Air Bag Maker Takata Bankruptcy Filing Expected In Japan, US
- San Antonio Wife Sentenced To Prison For Killed Officer Husband
- 6 Cows Killed, Deputy Hurt In Suspected Drunk Driving Crash
- 3-Year-Old Dies After Found In Hot Car In Fort Worth