NEW YORK (AP) — CBS Sports says Rory McIlroy’s one-shot victory over Phil Mickelson in the PGA Championship produced the highest overnight ratings in five years.
CBS says the household rating was 6.0 with a 13 share, up 36 percent from a year ago when Jason Dufner beat Jim Furyk at Oak Hill, meaning probably more than 6 million people watched on Sunday. It was the highest rating since a 7.5 and 17 share in 2009 when Y.E. Yang rallied from two shots behind to beat Tiger Woods at Hazeltine.
Sunday at Valhalla featured four players with at least part of the lead on the back nine — McIlroy, Mickelson, Rickie Fowler and Henrik Stenson. The round finished at 8:43 p.m. EDT because of a rain delay earlier Sunday, and McIlroy finished in the dark.
McIlroy has won the last two major championships.
- Noel Makes Debut; Mavericks Defeat Pelicans 96-83
- 2 Sisters Meet Each Other For The First Time
- State Investigators Look Into Balch Springs Pallet Fire
- Man Cons Salesman Out Of $150K Maserati
- Police: Car Plows Into Parade Crowd In New Orleans