NEW YORK (AP) — CBS Sports says Rory McIlroy’s one-shot victory over Phil Mickelson in the PGA Championship produced the highest overnight ratings in five years.
CBS says the household rating was 6.0 with a 13 share, up 36 percent from a year ago when Jason Dufner beat Jim Furyk at Oak Hill, meaning probably more than 6 million people watched on Sunday. It was the highest rating since a 7.5 and 17 share in 2009 when Y.E. Yang rallied from two shots behind to beat Tiger Woods at Hazeltine.
Sunday at Valhalla featured four players with at least part of the lead on the back nine — McIlroy, Mickelson, Rickie Fowler and Henrik Stenson. The round finished at 8:43 p.m. EDT because of a rain delay earlier Sunday, and McIlroy finished in the dark.
McIlroy has won the last two major championships.
- Rangers Lose To Brewers, 8-3, Lose Ground For AL Home Field
- Plano Football Coaches Apologize For Dirty Hit In Denton Game
- Crime Spree Leaves Man Dead In Dallas And In Cedar Hill
- North Texas Wedding Photographer Ruins Brides Big Day
- At Each Other From The Start: Clinton, Trump Debate