NEW YORK (AP) – Brittney Griner brings her slam-dunking skills to Madison Square Garden for the first time, hoping to take her Phoenix team a step closer to the WNBA playoffs and a possible league record 30-win season.
The Mercury boast the best record in the WNBA at 26-4, with four games left in the regular season heading into Tuesday night’s contest against the New York Liberty (13-17).
The 6-foot-8 Griner is averaging 15.7 points and 7.9 rebounds while leading the league in blocks at nearly 4.0 per game. Her improved shot-making and defensive presence helped Phoenix go on a 16-game winning streak during the season.
Griner makes her Garden debut after playing her rookie season last year against the Liberty in Newark, New Jersey, while the famous arena was being renovated.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Blast Rocks Southeast Texas Refinery; No Injuries
- SMU Alumni Raises Funds To Keep Campus Paper In Print
- Man Accused In Vicious Attack In Deep Ellum Arrested
- Lance Armstrong Settles $100M Lawsuit With US Government
- Authorities: Shooter Fires Through Restaurant Window, Kills 2 Deputies