FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) — Nearly 90 firefighters were needed to battle a fire at a vacant Fort Worth business on Tuesday night.
Calls came in shortly before 10 p.m. reporting a fire at 406 W. Central Avenue, the former site of Hoover Furniture. Crews arrived on scene to heavy flames showing from the two-story building.
An interior offensive attack was initiated, as dispatch received information that there may be people trapped inside the structure.
As the structural stability of the building deteriorated, crews were forced to assume a defensive position outside of the building.
“The amount of fire, the size of the structure — this was a serious firefight,” said Battallion Chief Richard Harrison. “It took all of our available resources on that second alarm to get it under control.”
The fire was contained by 11:30 p.m.
There are no reports of injuries at this time, though firefighters will complete a detailed secondary search as allowed.
Neighbors report seeing transient citizens often using the building for shelter.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas To Receive Nearly $58 Million In Federal Housing Funds In Wake Of Harvey
- Guiding NFL Sack Leader Tank Lawrence To A ‘Cowboys For Life’ Contract
- Parents Of Missing Richardson Girl Want Other Daughter Back From CPS
- Keidel: Falcons-Patriots Super Bowl Rematch Not A Preview
- Shock After Whataburger Slight On Most Popular Fast-Food List
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- McDonald’s Ordered To Pay $27 Million For Teens’ Deaths
- Game Warden Issues Alligator Warning At North Texas Lake
- Teen Defies Odds, Lives Well Past Doctor’s Prognosis
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting