FORT WORTH, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – A convicted felon with a history of assault has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for killing a North Texas woman who hired him as a handyman.
Shane Lee Dixon was sentenced in Fort Worth in a plea agreement over the 2013 death of 67-year-old Signe Edwards.
Police found the Arlington woman beaten to death in her home after she complained to friends about problems with the 37-year-old Dixon.
Prosecutors on Thursday announced Dixon pleaded guilty to murder and to unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.
Authorities say Edwards purchased a gun from Dixon and she also paid him to take the weapon for repairs. Dixon kept the gun and the money.
Edwards was killed just hours after she went to Dixon’s house to confront him about not returning her gun or her money. Earlier in the day, she told friends and neighbors she planned to call the police.
Dixon was sentenced to a concurrent 10 year-term on the gun count.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Woman Donates Gifts To Children In Honor Of Husband, Son
- Silvers Lifts Troy Over UNT, 50-30, In New Orleans Bowl
- Police: “Criminal Santa” Gets Stuck In Chimney During Burglary Attempt
- Ex-Wife Of Lorenzen Wright Charged With Murder In 2010 Death
- Major Media Players Start Commission For Sexual Misconduct