AP — The U.S. national team has canceled a trip to Senegal after the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says Friday the Americans were disappointed to call off what would have been the national team’s first trip to the African continent, but “didn’t have any other choice” because of the risk.
The Americans were scheduled to travel to Dakar on Aug. 27 and conduct a joint clinic with the Senegal national team. They planned to tour Senegal’s Goree Island and attend a reception hosted by the Senegalese government.
More than 1,000 people have died in West Africa in the last six months after the outbreak quickly spread to major cities in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas Appeals Court Overturns Ex-Baylor Player’s Conviction
- Death Rates Up For Middle Age Whites With Little Education
- Butler Eager To Add North Carolina To List Of Its Upsets
- AP Sources: US To Approve Keystone XL Pipeline
- NCAA Tournament Results And Conference Perception