AP — The U.S. national team has canceled a trip to Senegal after the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says Friday the Americans were disappointed to call off what would have been the national team’s first trip to the African continent, but “didn’t have any other choice” because of the risk.
The Americans were scheduled to travel to Dakar on Aug. 27 and conduct a joint clinic with the Senegal national team. They planned to tour Senegal’s Goree Island and attend a reception hosted by the Senegalese government.
More than 1,000 people have died in West Africa in the last six months after the outbreak quickly spread to major cities in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Garland Mayor Resigns After Controversial Vote For Dog & Skate Park
- Cowboys To Host 2018 NFL Draft
- Cop Buys Teen Membership To Gym He Kept Sneaking Into
- 3 Dead, 2 Wounded In Maryland Office Park Shooting
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Alleges Sexual Abuse By Team Doctor