DALLAS, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Cowboys coach Jason Garrett insists the team has yet to finalize its plans for Tony Romo playing time in Saturday’s “dress-rehearsal” preseason game in Miami. That conflicts with word from owner Jerry Jones, who says Romo’s stint will be a short one.
Why would the owner and the coach utter different truths here?
“You’ll have to ask Mr. Jones,” explained a grinning Garrett.
And The Fan’s Shan & RJ did exactly that.
“Well, I think you’ll probably see him here against Miami about like you did the other night,’’ Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan, reflecting back on Romo’s successful 16-snap effort against Baltimore. “I don’t know that we ought to do any more than that, then really see not only (Brandon) Weeden but our young quarterback (Dustin Vaughan) can get some snaps out there.’’
Romo played in his first game since season-ending back surgery last December, and completed 4-of-5 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown.
“It was exciting,” top assistant Scott Linehan. “He looked like the Tony Romo of old, to me.”
Jones feels the same way.
“Yes, yes,’’ he said. “He’s shown it throughout our training camp. I thought he did a great job how he managed himself back in, if you will, his rhythm.”
So are Jones and Garrett out of rhythm is describing the Romo plan differently? Nah. It’s Jerry’s job to make his 105.3 The Fan appearances colorful. Which they are. It’s Garrett’s job to keep his press conferences from being too revelatory. Which they are.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Austin Bombings: Expert Concerned Bomber Has Gone From ‘Targeting Specific Individual’ To ‘I Just Want To Kill Someone’
- Dallas Unveils New Plan To Build Affordable Housing
- I-Team: Records Reveal Dozens Of Atmos Gas Leaks In Same Neighborhood Prior To Deadly House Explosion
- Recommendation By City Staff To Save Confederate War Memorial Upsets Some On Task Force
- Teen Who Used ‘Affluenza’ Defense Set For Release April 2