NEW YORK (AP) — Top-ranked Serena Williams is seeded No. 1 as she seeks her third straight U.S. Open title.
The U.S. Tennis Association followed this week’s WTA rankings in announcing the seedings Wednesday.
French Open runner-up Simona Halep is seeded second after reaching a career-best ranking this month. She has never advanced past the fourth round at the U.S. Open.
Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova is seeded No. 3 with third-ranked Li Na out because of a knee injury. Agnieszka Radwanska moves up to No. 4.
Five-time major champ Maria Sharapova is seeded fifth, meaning there’s a chance she could face Williams in the quarterfinals. The runner-up the last two years, Victoria Azarenka, is seeded 16th after an injury-plagued season.
Venus Williams is seeded 19th.
The draw is Thursday, and the tournament starts Monday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: US Probes Banking Of Ex-Trump Campaign Chief
- US Routs Puerto Rico 8-0 To Win World Baseball Classic
- Dallas Police Looking For Missing 15-Year-Old
- Chaos Amid Protest At Cleburne High School
- Coppell High Student Creates Crisis Response Team