CLEVELAND (AP) – A person familiar with the penalty says Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel has been fined $12,000 by the NFL for flipping his middle finger at Washington’s sideline.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity on Friday because the ruling has not been made public.
Manziel said he was reacting to taunting by the Redskins during Monday night’s nationally televised game. The action didn’t help his chances to win Cleveland’s starting job, which went to veteran Brian Hoyer. Manziel says he has to be “smarter” on the field.
Browns coach Mike Pettine was “extremely disappointed” by Manziel’s conduct and said the 21-year-old’s on-field behavior factored into the team’s decision in naming a starter.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cowboys To Look For QB In ‘The Second Draft’
- Beyonce Outshines Her Music Peers At MTV VMAs
- Fried Jell-O & Cookie Fries Among State Fair Of Texas Food Winners
- Things To Watch As U.S. Open Gets Underway
- Clinton Proposes Plan To Address Mental Health Treatment