CLEVELAND (AP) – A person familiar with the penalty says Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel has been fined $12,000 by the NFL for flipping his middle finger at Washington’s sideline.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity on Friday because the ruling has not been made public.
Manziel said he was reacting to taunting by the Redskins during Monday night’s nationally televised game. The action didn’t help his chances to win Cleveland’s starting job, which went to veteran Brian Hoyer. Manziel says he has to be “smarter” on the field.
Browns coach Mike Pettine was “extremely disappointed” by Manziel’s conduct and said the 21-year-old’s on-field behavior factored into the team’s decision in naming a starter.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman’s Tinder Date Steals Dog While She Housesits
- Clinton: My ‘Skin Crawled’ As Trump Shadowed During Debate
- Two North Texas Boys Got To Ride To School In Style
- Morgan Freeman To Receive SAG Life Achievement Award
- Amid Contract Talks, Goodell Says That He Loves His Job