Rocket Explodes During Test Flight; No Injuries
MCGREGOR (AP) — An unmanned SpaceX rocket self-destructed shortly after launching on a test flight at a Central Texas development site, the company said Friday.
Nobody was injured in the afternoon explosion at the test site in McGregor, 23 miles southeast of Waco.
The test flight involved a three-engine version of the company’s reusable Falcon 9 rocket, spokesman John Taylor said in a statement. “During the flight, an anomaly was detected in the vehicle and the flight termination system automatically terminated the mission,” he said.
“Throughout the test and subsequent flight termination, the vehicle remained in the designated flight area. There were no injuries or near injuries,” he said.
A representative of the Federal Aviation Administration was present for the flight.
The company offered no further details on the nature of the “anomaly.”
“With research and development projects, detecting vehicle anomalies during the testing is the purpose of the program. Today’s test was particularly complex, pushing the limits of the vehicle further than any previous test,” Taylor said.
SpaceX will review the flight record to learn more about the rocket’s performance before its next test flight, he said.
SpaceX has been using the Falcon 9 to launch satellites and the Dragon spacecraft, which delivers cargo to the International Space Station.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arlington Officials Not Happy About Red Light Ticket Budget Hole
- Chris Kirk Clenches Victory At Colonial In Fort Worth
- WATCH: Trinity River Near Downtown Dallas Near “Major Flood” Stage
- No Holiday From the Storms
- Texas House Opts Not To Cut Tuition For Veterans And Their Children
- Teen Made Corsicana Walmart His Home
- American Flags Found Burned, Police Search For Vandals
- FBI: 80 Percent Of Police Officers Are Overweight
- Gov. Perry & FAA Disagree About Requests To Fly Drones Over Border
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes